International Litigation and Arbitration
The firm specializes in representing domestic and international clients in cross-border litigation in the United States and before international arbitral tribunals. The firm’s lawyers have represented claimants and respondents in numerous arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, the AAA’s International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Society of Maritime Arbitrators (SMA), ICSID, BCICAC and in ad hoc arbitrations conducted under the UNCITRAL rules.
In addition to private clients, the firm’s lawyers have litigated on behalf of and against foreign governments and international organizations. They have substantial experience in international litigation and arbitration issues, including obtaining discovery abroad, obtaining discovery in the U.S. in aid of foreign proceedings, international enforcement of judgments, choice of law and forum, and the enforceability and scope of arbitration agreements and the U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (“CISG”).
- Represented two subsidiaries of a multinational construction company in an ICC international commercial arbitration arising out of two energy projects in Argentina.
- Due diligence counsel for a litigation and arbitration funder in an ICC international commercial arbitration arisign out of an energy project in the Netherlands.
- Represented a Chinese company and its Ecuadorian subsidiary in an international commercial arbitration under BCICAC arising out of the purchase & sale of a mining concession in Ecuador.
- Represented French company in international maritime arbitration concerning vessels operating in South America
- Represented owner of aircraft engines in federal court and international arbitration proceedings against Japanese repair facility
- Represented German turbomachinery manufacturer in series of international arbitrations brought by its US joint venture partner for alleged violations of US and EU antitrust law
- Represented German nationals in US construction arbitration against project architect
- Represented US financial institution in post-closing purchase price arbitration against Canadian railcar manufacturer
- Represented Swiss financial institutions in $600 million federal suit brought by state insurance commissioners under federal RICO statute relating to Martin Frankel embezzlement scheme
- Represented Finnish oil trading company in federal litigation brought by major US oil company under the UN Convention for the International Sale of Goods
- Represented US company in ad hoc arbitration under UNCITRAL rules against foreign government for breach of agreements relating to natural resource concessions
- Represented United Nations in US commercial arbitration
- Represented US coal importer in federal litigation against international testing company for breach of contract and negligence concerning inspections conducted in Belgium and Pakistan
- Represented Republic of Vietnam on US federal appeal
- Represented 50% owner of Ukrainian television channel in litigation over control of channel.
- Represented Latvian owned Delaware corporation in 28 USC § 1782 action to obtain discovery for use in Latvian proceeding.
- Represented European software developer in ICDR arbitration.
- Represented Singaporean commodities trader in litigation regarding purchase of cargo of cashew nuts.
- Represented Singaporean investor in civil enforcement action by SEC alleging insider trading.
- Represented Singaporean investor in ICDR arbitration with online brokerage house.
- Represented Belgian retailer in application for discovery in aid of foreign proceeding under 28 U.S.C. § 1782.
- Represented Chinese mobile phone manufacturer in five products liability actions and contract dispute with advertising agency.
- Represented a consortium of international contractors in an ICC investment treaty arbitration against Libya under the Turkey – Libya BIT, arising out of the construction of a major water-conveyance system in Libya.
- Represented a consortium of international contractors in an ICC international commercial arbitration proceeding, also arising out of the construction of a major water-conveyance system in Libya.
- Represented a group of foreign investors in an ICSID treaty arbitration against Uzbekistan under the Turkey – Uzbekistan BIT, arising out of the construction of textile plants.
- Represented a US construction company in an UNCITRAL commercial arbitration regarding the termination of a housing project in an African country.
- Represented the Republic of Paraguay against foreign investors in an ICSID arbitration under the Netherlands – Paraguay BIT, arising out of concession agreements.
- Represented the Republic of Paraguay against foreing investors in an ICSID arbitration under the Switzerland – Paraguay BIT, arising out of concession agreements.