Damián Vallejo focuses his practice on international investment arbitration, public international law, international commercial arbitration and commercial litigation. He represents companies, states and individuals in investment treaty and international commercial arbitrations conducted under the major international arbitration rules (ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, ICDR, LCIA, etc.) and advises clients on public international law matters, including the structuring of investments under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties. Damián also represents clients on commercial disputes and advises on arbitration-related litigation matters and the enforcement and challenge of domestic and foreign arbitral awards. He also acts as due diligence counsel in litigation finance and investments arising out of legal and regulatory special situations.
His experience spans a wide range of industries, including maritime, transportation, insurance, energy, mining, electricity, construction, infrastructure development, cross-border transactions and general commercial matters.
Damián has experience in civil and common-law legal systems. Prior to joining Dunning, Rievman & Davies, Damián practiced in three major international disputes practices in the United States. A Spanish national, Damián practiced as a litigator and commercial lawyer at Spain’s most prestigious maritime and insurance law boutique and was an associate professor of maritime commercial law at the School of Nautical Studies of Barcelona. He is a native Spanish and Catalan speaker and has reading comprehension of Portuguese.
Damián is actively engaged in publishing and speaking at conferences. His publications include:
- Author, “ALJTC v. FedEx, ¿se abre la puerta a acciones de discovery en EE.UU. en apoyo de arbitrajes internacionales?”, (“ALJTC v. FedEx, is the door opening for US discovery actions in aid of international arbitration?”), CIAR Global (October 11, 2019)
- Author, “Will Mexico lead the next wave of investment arbitration claims?”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog & Young ICCA Blog (August 6, 2018)
- Author, “India: ¿Momento adecuado para reestructurar las inversiones extranjeras en el país?” (“India: Adequate moment for restructuring foreign investments in the country?”), Expansión – Diario Económico (January 31, 2018)
- Author, “Tanzania: ¿Un paso atrás en las industrias de extracción?” (“Tanzania: A step backwards in the extraction industries?”), Expansión – Diario Económico (December 1, 2017)
- Co-author, Case report Total v. Argentina (ICSID Case No. ARB/04/01), Decision on Annulment. International Arbitration Case Law (Queen Mary University of London), Transnational Dispute Management (March 2, 2016)
- Co-author, “El régimen de responsabilidad de los operadores marítimos” (“The liability regime of the maritime operators”), DIARIO DEL PUERTO No. 5.131 (December 1, 2014)
- Co-author, “Prestige: Controversia de conceptos” (“Prestige: Controversy of Concepts”), Speaker no. 2 – Young Lawyers Group of Barcelona (January 2014)
His speaking engagements include:
- “Protection of Private Investments in the Energy Sector through International Agreements for the Promotion and Protection of Investments,” Clúster Energético de Nuevo León, Monterrey (Mexico), January 2020
- “Building a Career in International Arbitration,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, Quito (Ecuador), April 2019
- “Managing Complex Cases in International Arbitration,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, San Jose (Costa Rica), March 2018
- “Liability of the carrier in the carriage of goods by sea,” Conference at the Barcelona’s Bar Association, June 2013
- Associate Professor, Master in Maritime Law, Shipping Business and Port Management, School of Nautical Studies of Barcelona, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, May 2013 – May 2015